Even though the latest ruleset for Dropzone Commander leaves a lot to be desired, I can’t help but work on the hobby side of the system. I’ve done some starts and stops on improving my main board but thought that it just wasn’t possible without a lot more work than I’d have time for but with the 3D printer, the world opened up just wide enough to really jump back into the concept.
Tag: dropzone commander (Page 1 of 10)
Sometimes you get distracted and then projects just fall off your work bench. In the case of Gaslands, it was 18 months since I last worked on anything for the game and it seemed with Gaslands Refueled released (the second edition of the game), I would just leave it all behind. But fate decided differently and for whatever reason I dusted off the rules and decided to make it happen.
It’s been a couple of months since I last played some disappointing games of Dropzone Commander and I don’t think stewing in frustration will do any one any good so I’ve decided to take another path. No game, no matter how well designed, is flawless. In Simulation games especially, this can lead to some pretty funny interactions.
I’ve decided to illustrate some of these situations in Dropzone Commander through some new photographs. It was a lot of fun creating these scenes and, if nothing else, I hope you enjoy them. Big thanks to Colton for loaning me some of his fantastic UCM, Scourge, and Shaltari models.
Like every year, I think I’ll have time during the show to update things but that never happens. The convention is just too busy and entertaining to stop and post so as I settle back into to post-Con life, I get the energy to recapture the magic before too much of the memories fade. Because my photos are in order, it’s easiest to just go through things each day.
I got to take another crack at Dropzone Commander’s 2nd Edition with a local game. Not realizing what it would be like, I wanted to see what a “standard” army would look like at the new 1750 points. It turned out to be a pretty futile attempt as we had only three players and three-way games are, as I’ve found in this system, a really slow affair. Compound this with still trying to get the rules in our minds and we simply bit off more than we could chew.
I picked up the new Dropzone Commander rule book, Battle for Earth, and have had a little bit of time to start reading through. Of course the first thing I did was flip to the back of the book to go through the new 2nd edition rules. This has been a long time coming and with the force builder out, these rules helped fill in some gaps the unit stats were showing.
Dropzone Commander has been a great ride and even with all the ups and downs of the last few years as the original company was sold and a new edition announced, it still holds a lot of weight with my friends. The UKGE convention happened over the weekend and the first salvos of the real 2nd edition have landed.
I complained last week that releasing the book without unit stats will be dangerous unless the online builder is released as well and it seems they did just that. There is still a bit of dust for TTCombat to clean up with the new army builder in Beta and having some obvious errors but the company seems fully committed and that is really all we can hope for.
While 2nd edition gets cleaned up for its official opening later this month, we decided to do one last game in 1st edition to give the original a final and proper send off.
Ever since I made my burned out building for Dropzone Commander, I’d wanted to do a specific shot with some infantry inside the building. The image in my head was always this scene of a huddled squad, taking shelter in a destroyed building while the battle rages on around them. I’d been thinking about it for months and tried several test shots but could never get it right.
I tried it again this week but was getting nowhere. On a whim, I decided to flip the perspective where I’d shoot from within the building instead of trying to see the troops from the outside and the image just clicked.
That change in perspective made all the difference and instead of fighting the scene, I was able to compose it all to match more of what was in my head. The shot lighting was no more than some tea lights and cotton (easy fire/smoke markers) and a flashlight handheld at a high angle.