I used the rest of the week to wrap up my Dropzone Commander Monorail kit, focusing lastly on the bases. I didn’t really want to free hand some general ruined concrete but I also know that I didn’t want to leave them plain even though the product image has them that way. I turned to my ruinscape terrain tiles for the solution.
These tiles are from the board layout kit that Dropzone has in its catalog and since I’d already scrapped some tiles for my Thunder Road variant, cutting up one more tile still leaves me with enough for a 4′ x 4′ map with some extra tiles for variety.
I first measured out the hole and cut it out of an oversized square from one of the tiles.
After resizing the hole until it snugly fit, I then flipped the whole thing over and traced out the base pattern to the other side of the tile piece.
After cutting out the first one, I used it as a template to cut the rest out. Note, I only used the template for the hole, not the entire base itself. Since the washer base has an oversized hole, the pylons don’t uniformly line up so each base needs to be traced and cut out individually.
After I put the templates on to make sure they fit, I touched up the exposed paper sides of the tile pieces with a black felt-tip marker.
I used PVA glue to stick the final templates to the base. After everything was dry, I painted up the exposed side of the washer base in black. It doesn’t blend well with the scenery but it made the pylons feel a lot more finished.
And that’s it! Monorail complete. I took a victory lap by setting up a board and taking some “in game” shots.